Tuesday, June 26, 2012

[MOVIE] REVIEW: Brave

by: Mark
WARNING - MILD SPOILERS


If you'll indulge a lifelong Disney fan a moment to gush, Brave is a fantastically wonderful movie and I love it. As soon as credits rolled, I knew that it had replaced The Incredibles as my new favorite Pixar film, which is an incredible (ha) feat.

The story is one that has been told countless times: a stodgy mother tries to force her daughter into the prim and regal lifestyle, whilst the daughter merely wants to ride horses and shoot stuff. Even Disney has covered this plot, but Brave is a standout version of the tale.

Visually, the movie is gorgeous. If a mere backdrop or nature shot can mist up the audience's eyes, then I think it's okay to call a movie well-made. From dark, misty forests to lush rolling hills to sunset cliffs, Pixar knows perfectly how to tug at our visual heartstrings. The action is well shot, the lighting is (forgive the overused term) dynamic, and everything has that level of detail that Disney is known for.

The music in this movie could (and did) make a grown man weep. The scores vary from lilting tinwhistle to raucous bagpiping, and of course the epic, drum-filled fervor of any good steed-riding scene. There are even several voiced songs thrown in too; a rarely seen tactic, but they work well here.

I was only able to recognize a few voices, such as the wonderful Billy Connolly. (And of course, John Ratzenberger.) Everyone brought their A-game to the table though. Not a line slipped by without the intended emotion or humor left out.

Disney does dip a little into it's plot reserves: the ignored heroine, a person changed into an animal, the mandatory happy ending. But they use these in such a way that we, the audience, can forgive them. I'm sure it's the writing and pacing that keep it fresh, but really the movie is a bit of a blur to me. I am willing to bet I was staring at the screen more than once with glazed eyes and a slack jaw.

As far as Pixar movies go, this one was startlingly captive. The slow scenes have plenty to look at, the fast scenes demand your attention, and the story (a bit predictable, but hey, it's Disney) never leaves a void for your mind to wander.

It's very hard to give a Pixar movie a rating. You only have two options for the comparison:

  • Other Pixar movies, which are always stellar
  • Other company's CG movies, which aren't as good (they know who they are)
Seeing as I've already mentioned that this in my new #1 from the studio, I think I'll err on the higher end of the spectrum. I'm confident that anyone who sees Brave won't disagree with me.

SCORE: 100 out of 100
You should definitely, absolutely see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment